Saturday, January 1, 2011

Catania: The Check In



Buzzed in and panting,  I sense the relief that we have arrived and I am close to the moment when I will be free from my luggage.  We are greeted by a friendly man at the desk, Alessandro.  He motions for a place to put our bags and in a tranquil slow voice in perfect English he explains how things work.  Remaining for accomodation that evening is a mixed dorm,  men and women sleep there. The cost of 14 Euros includes sheets, a pillow case, a blanket and  a bed with a locker, but not a towel or a lock.  You could rent or buy those if you needed them.

"I just need your passports and to know how long you will stay."  Alessandro asks.

I pretented to be searching for my passport, forcing the others to go first.   i was hoping that if my friends were commited, I would not be turned away.  I watched as he filled in the log.  1990, 1989.  I scanned the book, everyone on the page was younger than I was.  I felt my heart pound in my ears,  like I had my head below my knees for too long, i was flush and dry mouthed.  Get yourself together, Marianne.  For heavens sake! 

When it was time for me to turn over my passport and to be entered into the log, I distracted my friends with chatter.  I can't remember what I said but I asked a question that required a long answer from both of them.  I glanced occasionally at Alessandro, looking at him soft eyed, hoping that he would not ask me to leave. I was anticipating an apologetic and polite.  "I am sorry.  Let me call a hotel near by for you dear.  You can't stay here."  I prayed he would not say anything out loud about my age.  It  was making me figgety and restless.  I noted the pattern of registration, continued to distract my friends.  He was not varying from the pattern.  It looked like I was in.  No questions asked.  To this day i don't know if Zoe an Chris know that I am old enough to be their MOMMA. 

When it was over, we were shown to the room.  "I wonder if they let old people sleep here?"  Chris asked as we unpacked.

"Clearly the answer is yes Chris." I replied with a tone that I knew would sting a little.

 "I hate you.  Damn."  a little wide eyed like he'd been slapped.


No comments:

Post a Comment