Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chocolate and Oranges

My ride to Modica smelled of wood and oranges.  I was propped comfortably in the back seat with 14 crates of fresh picked fruit.  The real purpose of the trip was to deliver them to a client, for Massimo to treat one of his physical therapy patients and return a friend home after a stay at the farm.  I was just worked into the mix. 

I packed for the day, my black mail carrier bag with camera, dictionary, notebook and verb workbook.  The plan was to return by bus after spending the day wondering around Modica and Ragusa.  My lunch plan was chocolate.  Modica was famous for it.  The vegetarians don't eat chocolate-sugar and milk are in the category of NO GOOD.  For me I can't really comprehend this complete elimination of things when it is not emphatically prescribed by a doctor, but to each his own. 

The chocolate in Modica has been made in the same way for centuries.  The texture and richness very specific.  The chocolate is mostly dark, even the milk chocolate.  I will describe it to you and there is a chance that you may think--Marianne are you sure that was good and i will promise you here and now that it was indeed ecstasy.  I had heard about this chocolate so I found a pretty spot in Modica Alta to enjoy my treat.


The bars are thick like baking chocolate in the States.  You bite through with a snap, deep craters formed from a toothy grip.  The secret to this cocogasm is in the smooth paddled chocolate is the gritty sugar.  Unlike any other chocolate I have ever had the sugar is not melted into the chocolate to become a ubiquitous cream but big granuals of sugar are folded in and are suspended in place.  When you bite and let a bit dissolve on your tongue the chocolate becomes soupy and bitter.  Just when the bitterness starts to dry your palette the granuals of sugar slowly melt around the chocolate like a blanket.  The texture is like sand, crunchy and firm.  I ate an entire bar (recommended three serving) and wanted to cry when it was over.  It took me almost an hour because I tried eating it as slowly as possible.  No one could tell me how it was done, or maybe no one would tell me how it was done but when I was done I need to pat the sweat from my brow and bite back the urge for a cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment