Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ciao Sicilia

A pattern had taken hold.  I wake in the morning with a clear idea of when it is time to go.  Sometimes with a date or a day or a time or a moment.  This happened here in Noto.  Waking and glancing at my thorn torn flesh from the lemon trees, I realize it is also time to leave Sicily all together.  It is almost December.  Most of the olives on the island are harvested, or owned by people I don't care for and now it is thorny citrus season.  I want to wear sleeveless dresses for the rest of my life so no more scratches for me.  My plan begins to unravel before I swing the covers from my night nest and place my feet on the ground for the day.  One week more, some travel in Sicily and Southern Italy then work harvesting olives in Italy.  My goal, Mount Etnea,  Napoli, Pompeii, Syracusa, Modica, Ragusa, Enna than back to another farm for work.  I do not know the farm yet at this point but the order of things has become clear.  I will travel to Modica and Ragusa on my last Monday here and then on my own after I leave I will travel to the rest. 

I made my announcement of my departure to the Janne and Massimo. 

"You are going north for the winter.  It is very cold there.  You must buy a sweater or a coat.  I cannot help you with this because we are very small people."  Janne said. 

"Wow", I thought, "how long have you been waiting to be able to say that." 

"Well that is okay.  I will get something when I am traveling."  Looking at her wide eyed and sad like I was dying inside just a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment